(Recipe from Runners World)
- 12 eggs
- 12 sheets prosciutto
- 1 red pepper (diced)
- A handful baby kale
- salt & pepper
- Line a muffin tin with the prosciutto sheets
- add a little diced red pepper and baby kale onto the prosciutto
- crack a single egg into each one
- top with a little salt and pepper
- bake at 375 degrees for 15 min
- 1 red onion (diced)
- 1 carrot (diced)
- 2 sticks celery (diced)
- 2-3 pre-cooked sausages (sliced)
- 4 pieces pre-cooked bacon (chopped)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp dried bail
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 can tinned tomatoes
- 4C chicken stock
- 1 can white beans
- 4C kale (chopped)
- 10 large pre-cooked shrimp
- parmesan (grated to taste)
- Olive Oil
- In a large pot heat the olive oil over a medium heat. Add the onion, celery and carrot and saute for 5 mins.
- Add the sausages, bacon and garlic and saute until brown.
- Next add the dried basil, red pepper flakes, salt & pepper and saute for 1 min.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, chicken stock and white beans and simmer on a low heat for 20 mins.
- Turn the heat off, add the kale & shrimp and leave covered with a lid for a further 3 mins.
- Serve with grated parmesan cheese on.
Below serves 3-4
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- medium onion (diced)
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1/4 C Parsley
- 1tsp ground coriander
- 1tsp cumin (heaped)
- 1 14oz can black beans
- 1 C chicken broth
- 2 red chillies (diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 tsbp grated fresh ginger
- Zest & juice of 1 lime
- 1 Avocado
- 1/4 C crumbled feta
- 1 14oz can tinned tomatoes (strained of juice)
- Additional lime quarters (for serving)
- Set the rice to cook in a rice cooker or pot
- In a pot, over medium heat, add the onion & garlic, stir occasionally until softened, around 5 min
- Add the ground coriander & cumin, stir for 1min
- Add the beans, broth, chillies & tinned tomatoes, bring to boil & reduce to simmer for 10min
- Mash beans down and stir in the grated ginger, lime juice & lime zest and let sit for another 1-2min
- Serve rice with the beans & top with the parsley, avocado, lime quarters & crumbled feta on top.
Adapted from a recipe by Heather Christo
Below serves 2
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Tiger Shrimp 10-12
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 tbsp red curry paste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 C chicken broth
- 1 1/2 C lite coconut milk
- Fish sauce (dash)
- Rice noodles (enough for 2!)
- 6 white button mushrooms thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper thinly sliced
- Fresh cilantro
- 3 green onions thinly sliced
- Combine the ginger, curry paste & 1tbsp oil in a small bowl and mix well.
- In a pot, heat the curry paste/ginger mix over medium heat, frying the paste gently for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth & lite coconut milk with the dash of fish sauce.
- Add the mushrooms & red peppers, bring to the boil and reduce gently to simmer (for around 5 mins.)
- While this is happening in a separate pan pour boiling water onto the dry noodles, let them soften, rinse well & set aside (portioned off into the 2 bowls.)
- In a frying pan heat the garlic with the remaining 1tbsp oil over a medium heat, add the shrimp and cook till lightly pink, but not overcooked! (this can happen alongside the noodles)
- Once cooked add the shrimp to the broth, remove from the heat and allow to stand for 1-2min.
- Pour over the noodles in the bowl and garnish with the coriander & spring onion.
Prep & cooking time – less than 30 minutes total.
Based on a recipe from RunnersWorld
- 3/4 – 1lb shrimp
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1tsp smoked paprika
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can white beans
- 1 large can tinned chopped tomatoes
- handful chopped fresh basil
- A few chipotle peppers (canned) add more if you want it spicier!
Heat a pan over medium heat. Add shrimp with 1 tablespoon oil and paprika (fry for 1-2mins). Add half the garlic in the last few seconds of cooking. Set aside in a bowl.
Return the pan to the heat; add 1 tablespoons oil, bay leaf, and remaining garlic. Cook till garlic is golden. Add tomatoes, chipotle peppers & tomato paste; cook till tomato mixture darkens. Add beans and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in shrimp and basil, cook till heated through.
Serve with a baguette.
Quick & easy!
- 3 C cooked Quinoa
- 3 Carrots (peeled & diced)
- 1 Zucchini (diced)
- 1 Red Pepper (diced)
- 1 can Black Beans (rinsed well)
- 1/2 – 1 C chopped fresh Parsley
- 2 – 4 tbsp minced Jalapeño ( I used ones out of a Jar)
- juice of 2 Lemons.
- 1/4C (or slightly less) Olive Oil
- Salt (to taste)
- 4 tsp Cajun Spice
First combine all the ingredients listed above into a large bowl and stir well (apart from the Quinoa, Olive Oil & Salt) .
Lastly add the Quinoa & Olive Oil into the same bowl, stir in well and then season to taste with Salt.
I’ve found this keeps OK in the fridge for up to 2 days without drying out too much as the Olive Oil helps keep things moist.
Makes 8 portions. Can easily be made vegan by omitting the eggs & using only Vegan cheese
- 2tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 red onion – diced
- 6 cloves garlic – minced
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 zucchinis – diced
- 2 red peppers – diced
- 5 large white button mushrooms – diced
- 1 eggplant – diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp each of thyme, oregano, salt & pepper
- 1 can tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup each of fresh basil & parsley
- 2 eggs (optional if you want to keep this recipe vegan)
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 cups cheddar cheese (lactose free or vegan)
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese (lactose free or vegan)
- 1 cups manchego sheeps cheese (or vegan)
- 15 brown rice lasagna sheets
- Over a medium heat cook the Onion, Garlic & Chilli flakes ( 6 mins)
- Add zucchini, red peppers, mushroom, eggplant, bay leaves, thyme, oregano, salt & pepper (10 mins)
- Stir in the tomatoes, bring to the boil and reduce to simmer, stirring occasionally (30 mins)
- Boil the pasta to within 2 mins of cooking time, drain and set aside in cold water.
- In a bowl beat the eggs with the nutmeg. Add all the cheese apart from 1 cup of the mozzarella.
- Arrange 1/3 of the lasagna sheets in the bottom of a 9″ x 13″ baking dish.
- Add 1/3 of the vegetable sauce
- Top with 1/3 of the remaining lasagna sheets
- Add 1/2 the cheese
- Add 1/3 of the vegetable sauce
- Top with the remaining 1/3 lasagna sheets
- Add the remaining 1/2 the cheese
- Add the remaining 1/3 of the vegetable sauce
- Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of set aside mozzarella
- Cover with foil bake at 375F (190C) – (20 mins)
- Uncover and bake – (25 mins)
- Total prep & cooking time – 1hr 45 mins
makes 6-8 portions. (Costs are very approx) Quick easy comfort food & portions can be easily frozen.
- 600g brown rice pasta (penne or rigatoni)
- 50g margarine
- 200g Lactose free strong chedder cheese OR vegan cheese
- 50g Manchego sheeps cheese OR vegan cheese
- 1/2 C Spelt flour
- 600ml lactose free skim milk (or soy milk)
- 2 x 160g Tuna
- 1 can corn
- 1 zucchini diced.
- chopped parsley
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Boil the pasta to within 2 mins of cooking time, drain and set aside.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees
- Melt the margarine in a pan over a medium heat. Stir the in flour (1 min) then gradually stir in all the milk. Add all of but 1 handful of the cheese. (cheese is grated)
- Mix the pasta, sauce, tuna, corn, zucchini & parsley in a large baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Cook for 20-25 mins or until the cheese on top is brown.
- Total cooking time – 40 mins
This is lightly adapted from `Vegan Family Meals` by Ann Gentry; a book given to me for my birthday by my very good friend Lucy.
- 3.5lb Ripe Vine Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup + 2tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 12 Large cloves Garlic, chopped
- 3 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground Black Pepper
- 2 medium/large Red Onions
- 1/4 cup lightly packed fresh Basil, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh Parsley, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 fresh Tyme, finely chopped
- 5 cups Organic Veg Stock, or Water
- Heat the oven to 500. In a large bowl toss the tomatoes, 1/4 cup Olive Oil, 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar, 2 tsp Salt & 1tsp Black Pepper. transfer the mixture to a large heavy rimmed baking tray (arranging the tomatoes in a single layer skin side down) Roast until the tomatoes are charred on the edges, around 40 mins.
- Heat the remaining 2tbsp of Olive oil in a large pot over a medium heat. Add the onions & the remaining 1tsp Salt. Stir often, until the onions are soft (around 10 mins) Add the Basil, Parsley & Tyme and saute for about 1 min. Stir in the roasted tomato mixture and bring to a simmer. Add the Veg stock (or water) and simmer for around 8 mins.
- Total cooking time – 1hr 10mins
- 1 crusty French Bagette, chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 tsp Dried Basil
- 1/2 tsp Dried Rosemary
- 1/2 tsp Fresh ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Heat the oven to 375. Toss the bread cubes, Basil, Rosemary, Black Pepper & Salt in a bowl. Drizzle the Olive Oil over the bread cubes. Arrange the bread cubes in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake until the croutons are golden brown, around 15 mins
- Total cooking time – 20mins
This can be served as a side salad or as the main dish. Today I prepared it along with some Dolmades
- 1 – 398ml can of ChickPeas, drained & rinsed
- 2 cups grated Carrot
- 2 small Red Peppers, diced
- 3 Spring Onions, thinly sliced
- 1 Avocado, diced
- 1/3 cup Cilantro
- 1/3 cup Raisins
- 2 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Combine the Chickpeas, Carrot, Red Pepper, Avocado, Raisins & Spring Onions into a large bowl. Add the Cilantro, Red Wine Vinegar, Cumin, Salt & Pepper and mix through thoroughly.
- I tend to vary the quantities of Raisins, Cilantro, Red Wine Vinegar & Cumin depending on how I feel, so there are no hard & fast rules here.
- Total prep time – 10 mins