Based on a recipe from RunnersWorld
- 3/4 – 1lb shrimp
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1tsp smoked paprika
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can white beans
- 1 large can tinned chopped tomatoes
- handful chopped fresh basil
- A few chipotle peppers (canned) add more if you want it spicier!
Heat a pan over medium heat. Add shrimp with 1 tablespoon oil and paprika (fry for 1-2mins). Add half the garlic in the last few seconds of cooking. Set aside in a bowl.
Return the pan to the heat; add 1 tablespoons oil, bay leaf, and remaining garlic. Cook till garlic is golden. Add tomatoes, chipotle peppers & tomato paste; cook till tomato mixture darkens. Add beans and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in shrimp and basil, cook till heated through.
Serve with a baguette.
This is lightly adapted from `Vegan Family Meals` by Ann Gentry; a book given to me for my birthday by my very good friend Lucy.
- 3.5lb Ripe Vine Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup + 2tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 12 Large cloves Garlic, chopped
- 3 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground Black Pepper
- 2 medium/large Red Onions
- 1/4 cup lightly packed fresh Basil, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh Parsley, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 fresh Tyme, finely chopped
- 5 cups Organic Veg Stock, or Water
- Heat the oven to 500. In a large bowl toss the tomatoes, 1/4 cup Olive Oil, 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar, 2 tsp Salt & 1tsp Black Pepper. transfer the mixture to a large heavy rimmed baking tray (arranging the tomatoes in a single layer skin side down) Roast until the tomatoes are charred on the edges, around 40 mins.
- Heat the remaining 2tbsp of Olive oil in a large pot over a medium heat. Add the onions & the remaining 1tsp Salt. Stir often, until the onions are soft (around 10 mins) Add the Basil, Parsley & Tyme and saute for about 1 min. Stir in the roasted tomato mixture and bring to a simmer. Add the Veg stock (or water) and simmer for around 8 mins.
- Total cooking time – 1hr 10mins
- 1 crusty French Bagette, chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 tsp Dried Basil
- 1/2 tsp Dried Rosemary
- 1/2 tsp Fresh ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Heat the oven to 375. Toss the bread cubes, Basil, Rosemary, Black Pepper & Salt in a bowl. Drizzle the Olive Oil over the bread cubes. Arrange the bread cubes in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake until the croutons are golden brown, around 15 mins
- Total cooking time – 20mins