Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. This recipe makes 14 muffins.
In one bowl combine all the dry ingredients.
- 2 1/4C Spelt Flour (or any regular flour)
- 1/2C Oats
- 2tsp baking powder
- 1/2tsp baking soda (although i forgot to add this and it turned out ok!)
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1C slivered almonds (can sub for any other nuts)
- 1C raisins (can sub for any other dried fruit)
- 1/2C Pumpkin seeds (can sub for any other seeds)
In another bowl combine all the wet ingredients.
- 1/3C Butter OR Margarine OR Coconut Oil
- 1C Apple sauce
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2C Maple Syrup
- 3 small carrots (grated)
- 1 apple (grated)
Combine the wet & the dry ingredients together in one large bowl. Use a non-stick cooking spray in your muffin tin. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 mins then remove and cool. Wrap the muffins individually in plastic wrap and store in the fridge as they dry out easily.
Recipe lightly adapted from here
This can be served as a side salad or as the main dish. Today I prepared it along with some Dolmades
- 1 – 398ml can of ChickPeas, drained & rinsed
- 2 cups grated Carrot
- 2 small Red Peppers, diced
- 3 Spring Onions, thinly sliced
- 1 Avocado, diced
- 1/3 cup Cilantro
- 1/3 cup Raisins
- 2 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Combine the Chickpeas, Carrot, Red Pepper, Avocado, Raisins & Spring Onions into a large bowl. Add the Cilantro, Red Wine Vinegar, Cumin, Salt & Pepper and mix through thoroughly.
- I tend to vary the quantities of Raisins, Cilantro, Red Wine Vinegar & Cumin depending on how I feel, so there are no hard & fast rules here.
- Total prep time – 10 mins
A perfect seasonal Veg to cook with during Fall.
- 2 acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 1 cup peeled and chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped leeks (white and pale green parts only)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (I used organic)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups veggie stock
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup half and half (or Soy Milk to keep it Vegan)
- Salt (to taste)
- Heat oven to 450. Lay squash face up in (approx) 1 inch of water in a baking dish. Bake for 45 minutes (or until soft.) Remove from baking dish and spoon out the pulp into a large bowl, blend until smooth.
- Over a medium heat in a large saucepan add olive oil, then the carrots, celery, onions & leeks. Cook until they begin to soften; then add the stock, squash, cinnamon and nutmeg. Simmer, covered for 40 minutes. Stir in the maple syrup and half and half (or soy milk) then simmer, uncovered for another 5 minutes. Blend until smooth, add salt & pepper to taste.
- Total cooking time – 1hr 40mins