Tag Archive | squash
A perfect seasonal Veg to cook with during Fall.
- 2 acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 1 cup peeled and chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped leeks (white and pale green parts only)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (I used organic)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups veggie stock
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup half and half (or Soy Milk to keep it Vegan)
- Salt (to taste)
- Heat oven to 450. Lay squash face up in (approx) 1 inch of water in a baking dish. Bake for 45 minutes (or until soft.) Remove from baking dish and spoon out the pulp into a large bowl, blend until smooth.
- Over a medium heat in a large saucepan add olive oil, then the carrots, celery, onions & leeks. Cook until they begin to soften; then add the stock, squash, cinnamon and nutmeg. Simmer, covered for 40 minutes. Stir in the maple syrup and half and half (or soy milk) then simmer, uncovered for another 5 minutes. Blend until smooth, add salt & pepper to taste.
- Total cooking time – 1hr 40mins