Tag Archive | Tomato
- 1 red onion (diced)
- 1 carrot (diced)
- 2 sticks celery (diced)
- 2-3 pre-cooked sausages (sliced)
- 4 pieces pre-cooked bacon (chopped)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp dried bail
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 can tinned tomatoes
- 4C chicken stock
- 1 can white beans
- 4C kale (chopped)
- 10 large pre-cooked shrimp
- parmesan (grated to taste)
- Olive Oil
- In a large pot heat the olive oil over a medium heat. Add the onion, celery and carrot and saute for 5 mins.
- Add the sausages, bacon and garlic and saute until brown.
- Next add the dried basil, red pepper flakes, salt & pepper and saute for 1 min.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, chicken stock and white beans and simmer on a low heat for 20 mins.
- Turn the heat off, add the kale & shrimp and leave covered with a lid for a further 3 mins.
- Serve with grated parmesan cheese on.
This is lightly adapted from `Vegan Family Meals` by Ann Gentry; a book given to me for my birthday by my very good friend Lucy.
- 3.5lb Ripe Vine Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup + 2tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 12 Large cloves Garlic, chopped
- 3 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground Black Pepper
- 2 medium/large Red Onions
- 1/4 cup lightly packed fresh Basil, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh Parsley, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 fresh Tyme, finely chopped
- 5 cups Organic Veg Stock, or Water
- Heat the oven to 500. In a large bowl toss the tomatoes, 1/4 cup Olive Oil, 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar, 2 tsp Salt & 1tsp Black Pepper. transfer the mixture to a large heavy rimmed baking tray (arranging the tomatoes in a single layer skin side down) Roast until the tomatoes are charred on the edges, around 40 mins.
- Heat the remaining 2tbsp of Olive oil in a large pot over a medium heat. Add the onions & the remaining 1tsp Salt. Stir often, until the onions are soft (around 10 mins) Add the Basil, Parsley & Tyme and saute for about 1 min. Stir in the roasted tomato mixture and bring to a simmer. Add the Veg stock (or water) and simmer for around 8 mins.
- Total cooking time – 1hr 10mins
- 1 crusty French Bagette, chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 tsp Dried Basil
- 1/2 tsp Dried Rosemary
- 1/2 tsp Fresh ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Heat the oven to 375. Toss the bread cubes, Basil, Rosemary, Black Pepper & Salt in a bowl. Drizzle the Olive Oil over the bread cubes. Arrange the bread cubes in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake until the croutons are golden brown, around 15 mins
- Total cooking time – 20mins