Below serves 3-4
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- medium onion (diced)
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1/4 C Parsley
- 1tsp ground coriander
- 1tsp cumin (heaped)
- 1 14oz can black beans
- 1 C chicken broth
- 2 red chillies (diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 tsbp grated fresh ginger
- Zest & juice of 1 lime
- 1 Avocado
- 1/4 C crumbled feta
- 1 14oz can tinned tomatoes (strained of juice)
- Additional lime quarters (for serving)
- Set the rice to cook in a rice cooker or pot
- In a pot, over medium heat, add the onion & garlic, stir occasionally until softened, around 5 min
- Add the ground coriander & cumin, stir for 1min
- Add the beans, broth, chillies & tinned tomatoes, bring to boil & reduce to simmer for 10min
- Mash beans down and stir in the grated ginger, lime juice & lime zest and let sit for another 1-2min
- Serve rice with the beans & top with the parsley, avocado, lime quarters & crumbled feta on top.
Based on a recipe from RunnersWorld
- 3/4 – 1lb shrimp
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1tsp smoked paprika
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can white beans
- 1 large can tinned chopped tomatoes
- handful chopped fresh basil
- A few chipotle peppers (canned) add more if you want it spicier!
Heat a pan over medium heat. Add shrimp with 1 tablespoon oil and paprika (fry for 1-2mins). Add half the garlic in the last few seconds of cooking. Set aside in a bowl.
Return the pan to the heat; add 1 tablespoons oil, bay leaf, and remaining garlic. Cook till garlic is golden. Add tomatoes, chipotle peppers & tomato paste; cook till tomato mixture darkens. Add beans and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in shrimp and basil, cook till heated through.
Serve with a baguette.